What is Privatesearches.org
Privatesearches.org is the so-called “redirect virus” that may appear in your browser under the guise of a fake Google Docs extension. As a rule, malware like this ends up on users’ devices along with freeware and is installed automatically as an optional component. Following this, it modifies the browser configuration in order to replace the user’s default search engine/homepage. From this point, you are forced to carry out all searches via a new search provider whether you like it or not. Though it’s not a dangerous virus, this type of malware dramatically diminishes users’ browser experience by displaying pop-up ads and redirecting users to shady websites. Given this, you are advised to remove Privatesearches.org from your computer. To do so, follow the steps below.
|Type of threat||Browser hijacker|
|Symptoms||Browser hijacker changes the homepage and search engine of the browser so that users are forced to use them. It fills the targeted browser with commercial content in form of pop-ups, banners, in-text links, audio/video ads, etc. Also, hijackers can occasionally cause redirects to third-party websites|
|Infiltration||Freeware programs, illegal software, software cracks, torrents, fake updates|
|Manual Removal||To eliminate the threat manually, you should remove all files and applications related to the browser hijacker|
|Removal Tool||To completely get rid of hijacker, We recommend using SpyHunter. This is the only way you can be 100% sure that all components of the threat are removed from the system.|
How to uninstall Privatesearches.org hijacker from your computer?
The easiest and most modern way of removing pop-ups, trojans, ransomware, or other viruses is to use automatic removal tools. See our Anti-malware tools below for further instructions.
Recommended Anti-malware tools:
Try SpyHunter for Mac
Also, you can try to uninstall Privatesearches.org hijacker manually.
Sometimes, an extension cannot be removed because it is supposedly “Managed by your organization”. If this is your case, we recommend that you also use this guide – How to remove Managed by your organization from Chrome?
Step 1: Remove Privatesearches.org hijacker from Control Panel/Applications
- Click Start.
- Control Panel.
- Then click Add or Remove Programs.
- Find Privatesearches.org hijacker.
- Click Uninstall.
Windows 7/Windows Vista:
- Click Start.
- Then Control Panel.
- Click Uninstall a Program.
- Find Privatesearches.org and click Uninstall.
Windows 8/Windows 8.1:
- Open the Menu.
- Click Search.
- After that click Apps.
- Then Control Panel.
- Then as in Windows 7, click Uninstall a Program under Programs.
- Find Privatesearches.org, select it and click Uninstall.
- Click on the Start button (or press the Windows key) to open the Start menu, and click on the Settings at the top.
- Click on App & features on the left menu.
- On the right side, locate Privatesearches.org and click it, then click on the Uninstall button.
- Click on Uninstall to confirm.
Note: If you can’t find the required program, sort programs by date in Control panel and search for the last installed programs.
- Right click on the Start button to open the Start menu.
- Click on App & features on the left side.
- In the opened window, search for the program you want to remove, click on the “3-dots icon”, and click Uninstall button.
- Click on Uninstall again to confirm.
- Open Finder
- In the Finder sidebar, click Applications
- If you see Uninstall Privatesearches.org or Privatesearches.org Uninstaller (or other suspicious apps that you’ve never installed), double-click it, and follow the instructions
- Drag unwanted application Privatesearches.org from the Applications folder to the Trash (located on the right side of the Dock)
After that uninstall Privatesearches.org from your browser.
Step 2: Remove Privatesearches.org from browsers
If you cannot remove the extension from Google Chrome, as the delete icon is greyed out and the extension is marked as “managed by your organization”, you should first perform steps described in the How to remove Managed by your organization from Chrome? article and only then proceed with the removal.
- Open Google Chrome
- Click on 3-dots icon in the upper right corner and select Tools.
- Choose Extensions.
- Find Privatesearches.org.
- Click the trash can icon to remove it.
- Open Safari
- Click Safari menu.
- Choose Extensions.
- Find Privatesearches.org or other suspicious extensions.
- Click Uninstall button to remove it.
- Open Firefox.
- Push Shift + Ctrl + A.
- Choose Privatesearches.org.
- Click Disable or Remove button.
- Press Settings and more button
- Choose and Click on Extensions
- Find Privatesearches.org extension and click settings
- Press Uninstall button
- Start Edge again
- Open IE.
- Push Alt + T.
- Click Manage Add-ons.
- Select Toolbars and Extensions.
- Click Disable Privatesearches.org.
- Click More information link in the left-bottom corner.
- Click Remove button.
- If this button is grayed out – perform alternative steps.
Step 3: Resetting your browser search and homepage settings
Reset browser setting in Safari:
- Open Safari.
- Click on the Safari menu.
- Choose Reset Safari….
- Click Reset button.
Reset browser setting in Google Chrome:
- Click the Chrome menu (3 bar button) in the top right corner.
- Choose Settings.
- Click Show advanced settings.
- Go to Reset browser settings section.
- Click Reset browser settings.
- In the dialog that appears, click Reset.
Reset browser setting in Mozilla Firefox:
- Open Mozilla Firefox.
- Go to Help.
- Go to Troubleshooting information.
- Click Reset Firefox… button.