Infected with Scarab-Good ransomware? Need to decrypt your files?
What is Scarab-Good Ransomware
Scarab-Good is a common version of the notorious Scarab Ransomware. As others version of this ‘long-playing’ virus, it encrypts all users files on the PC/Laptop without any permissions, using AES algorithm. Scarab Ransomware targets different users from English-speaking countries and has unique features, that make possible to classify all versions. For example, all files that were hacked by Scarab-Good get .Good extension. Also, ScarabGood Ransomware creates text files (ransom notes), that have some terms and cost for the decryption and the scammers email. The cost may start at $200. We recommend ignoring such offers, because it may be cozenage. At present moment Scarab-Good is undecryptable, but there is an alternative way to remove Scarab-Good and decrypt .Good files. Please read our article, helping to restore a part of encrypted data.
HOW TO RECOVER ENCRYPTED FILES.TXT has the following text:
Your files are now encrypted!
Your personal identifier:
[26 RANDOM CHARACTERS]
All your files have been encrypted due to a security problem with your PC.
Now you should send us email with your personal identifier.
This email will be as confirmation you are ready to pay for decryption key.
You have to pay for decryption in Bitcoins. The price depends on how fast you write to us.
After payment we will send you the decryption tool that will decrypt all your files.
Contact us using this email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Free decryption as guarantee!
Before paying you can send us up to 3 files for free decryption.
The total size of files must be less than 10Mb (non archived), and files should not contain valuable information (databases, backups, large excel sheets, etc.).
How to obtain Bitcoins?
* The easiest way to buy bitcoins is LocalBitcoins site. You have to register, click 'Buy bitcoins', and select the seller by payment method and price:
* Also you can find other places to buy Bitcoins and beginners guide here:
* Do not rename encrypted files.
* Do not try to decrypt your data using third party software, it may cause permanent data loss.
* Decryption of your files with the help of third parties may cause increased price (they add their fee to our) or you can become a victim of a scam.'
Other versions of Scarab
Scarab Ransomware – .scorpio, .scarab
Scarab-Please – .please
Scarab-Crypto – .crypto
Amnesia – .amnesia, .@decrypt_files2017, .email@example.com or .TRMT
Scarab-XTBL(Oblivion) – .xtbl, .oblivion
Horsia – .firstname.lastname@example.org
Scarab-Walker – .JohnnieWalker
Scarab-Osk – .osk
Scarab-Rebus – .rebus
Scarab-DiskDoctor – .diskdoctor
Scarab-Bomber – .bomber, .email@example.com or .firstname.lastname@example.org
Scarab Bin – .Bin
Scarab Red – .Red
Scarab Recovery – .Recovery
Scarab Turkish – .[email@example.com]
Scarab Barracuda – .Barracuda
Scarab Cybergod – .Cybergod
Scarab-Amnesia – .firstname.lastname@example.org
Update: Use following service to identify the version and type of ransomware you were attacked by: ID Ransomware. If you want to decrypt your files, please follow our instruction below or, if you have any difficulties, please contact us: email@example.com. We really can help to decrypt your files.
How Scarab-Good infected your PC
The most vulnerable place in the PC is an unprotected network, which is why crypto viruses, in particular, Scarab-Good, penetrate the computer in this way. However, there are other options for penetration, for example, as an attachment to spam mailing or in the form of an imaginary update of a flash player, Java, and the like. You need to use special programs and utilities that can prevent infection of your computer. First, buy a proven and reliable antivirus. If your PC is already infected with Scarab-Good and you need to decrypt your files, then use our guide and tips below.
First of all, don’t panic. Follow these easy steps below.
1. Start your computer in Safe Mode with networking. To do that, restart your computer before your system starts hit F8 several times. This will stop system from loading and will show Advanced boot options screen. Choose Safe mode with networking option from the options list using up and down arrows on your keyboard and hit Enter.
2. Log in to the system infected with the Scarab-Good virus. Launch your Internet browser and download a reliable anti-malware program and start a full system scan. Once the scan is complete, review scan results and remove all entries detected.
Norton is a powerful removal tool. It can remove all instances of newest viruses, similar to Scarab-Good – files, folders, registry keys.
*Trial version of Norton provides detection of computer viruses for FREE. To remove malware, you have to purchase the full version of Norton.
You may find more detailed information about antivirus products in our article – Top 5 Antivirus Software for Windows
Restore your files using shadow copies
- Download and run Stellar Data Recovery.
- Select type of files you want to restore and click Next.
- Select the drive and folder where your files are located and date that you want to restore them from and press Scan.
- Once the scanning process is done, click Recover to restore your files.
Step 2: Remove following files and folders of Scarab-Good:
Related connections or other entries:
HOW TO RECOVER ENCRYPTED FILES.TXT
How to decrypt files infected by Scarab-Good?
You can try to use manual methods to restore and decrypt your files.
Decrypt files manually
Restore the system using System Restore
Although the latest versions of Scarab-Good remove system restore files, this method may help you partially restore your files. Give it a try and use standard System Restore to revive your data.
- Initiate the search for ‘system restore‘
- Click on the result
- Choose the date before the infection appearance
- Follow the on-screen instructions
Roll the files back to the previous version
Previous versions can be copies of files and folders created by Windows Backup (if it is active) or copies of files and folders created by System Restore. You can use this feature to restore files and folders that you accidentally modified or deleted, or that were damaged. This feature is available in Windows 7 and later versions.
- Right-click the file and choose Properties
- Open the Previous Version tab
- Select the latest version and click Copy
- Click Restore
Protect your computer from ransomware
Most modern antiviruses can protect your PC from ransomware and crypto-trojans, but thousands of people still get infected. There are several programs that use different approach t protect from ransomware and lockers. One of the best is HitmanPro.Alert with CryptoGuard. You may already know HitmanPro as famous cloud-based anti-malware scanner. Check out ultimate active protection software from SurfRight.
Written by Tim Kas